Sunday, May 1, 2011

Girl Cousin Reunion

Last fall we had a presenter at out Tuscaloosa Genealogical Society meeting speak on reunions, girls only. It sounded like a fun idea and I felt my life was out of balance so I sent out emails to my sisters and cousins to see if we could get something together.
Joanne from Michigan mentioned that she was going to Paris. Tricia from Georgia said that would be a great place to have a reunion. But we settled for Sea Island, Georgia. I can not imagine Paris being any better!
We had an absolutely marvelous time!!! We had 10 of 12 surviving cousins attend. This was not easy since many are still working. Jenny went into work at 6 am and worked 4 hours before taking the almost 8 hour drive. Two cousins flew in from Michigan and the rest had an eight to nine hour drive.
We also had 5 parents to attend. I heard one of the younger cousins introduce herself to a Michigan cousin saying, I don't remember ever meeting you but we are cousins.
Tricia lives close, on St. Simon Island, so she took on the responsibility of entertainment and finding housing for us. What a house she found!!! Fourteen of us slept comfortably, with plenty of bathrooms and dining facilities. We can not say thank you enough to Bill, her boss, for allowing us to stay in his Sea Island home for the cost of the housecleaning.
As Traci from Huntsville said last week: I'm still riding high from the trip - you know, driving down the road snickering for "no apparent reason."
Of course, I know what she is talking about! Oh my goodness...I just remembered my dream last night that I really, actually, knowingly took an alcoholic drink! I have not. But I like the saying, "what happens at grandma's house, stays at grandma's house" thus "what happens on Sea Island stays on Sea Island".

Our best shot. Starting with back row, left to right, cousins in order according to age.
Traci, Jenny, Kathy, Judy, Pat, Debbie, standing.
Joanne, Jan, Tricia, Bev, sitting. 


Thank you, Aunt Louise, to treating us early arrivers to a wonderful meal at Barbara Jean's.


In order, Rhada, Bev, Jan and Pat. What fun horseback riding on the beach!


Afternoon beach strollers.


Bev's idea. Glad I was taking the picture.


Joanne, Judy and Aunt Georgia arrive from Michigan.


Watch out for that gravel, Joyce, its a killer to the barefeet!


Beautiful walks on the beach.


Some in our group greet the sun.


Bike riding across Sea Island. Beautiful homes and beautiful nature. 


At the end of the Island we left our bikes to see the most beautiful sites on the ocean side.


Nice to have a professional masseuse on the trip. Thanks, Rhada.


Tricia arranged a private trolley tour with her good friend Bonnie. Bonnie was wonderful with information and funny stories! She told us we had just missed Robert Redford the previous week.


Aunt Louise was there all pretty from her hair appointment to greet us from the trolley ride.


 Aunt Louise and daughter, Tricia.


Jimmie's daughters Pat, Jan and Bev.


 Ollis daughters Joanne and Judy with mother, Georgia.

We missed Uncle Olen and Aunt Betty's daughter, Sherri. We had a special memorial video for Vicki who passed away in 1978 at age 22. 


Lorene's daughter, Debbie. We missed Diane.


Uncle Gay and Aunt Sherma with daughters Cathy and Jenny.


 I had to include both these shots. Joyce and daughter Traci. There are many shots not publishable.


A late night stroll. Judy you are so friendly.

Thank you wonderful, wonderful Halpin girl cousins!! If the guys are nice we might invite them next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!