Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tuscaloosa Tornado

I am posting this one week later (11 days now). It is hard to express the emotions of this event. To see first hand the destruction, to hear the remarkable stories of survival, to feel the touch of love as aid is given freely to the victims and those helping them, is a testimony to the wonderful community in which we live.
I had checked the radar throughout the day as the schools were closed the entire day. About 3 I checked and seeing nothing, I went outside to pull weeds. I was surprised when I heard the tornado alarm sound but thought Tuscaloosa County is a large area and did not think anything was near us. Then LeGrand called to ask if I was watching Channel 6. He said a tornado just hit Cullman. I turned on the TV and saw there were storms developing all around us. LeGrand said he would be home around 4 and I told him to be sure to check the radar before coming the 8 minute drive home.
Oldshue was the first reporter I heard say a tornado was developing south of town. He was on Interstate 59/20. Then I heard James Spann say, don't wait to go to your place of safety. Turn the volume up on the TV. "Those are transformers blowing not lightening. Pray for the people of Tuscaloosa." LeGrand and I got Ginger and went in the closet under the stairs. The cable TV went off, along with our phone and Internet and stayed off until early Friday morn.
When we thought it was clear, we began checking on our Young Single Adults from Church. Rachel called us saying the CVS, Full Moon, Hobby Lobby was gone and windows were blown out of the hospital.
The office where I spend many volunteer hours is next to the hospital. I wanted to check on the 450 pre 1900 books They were telling people not to get on the roads but we did manage to get there and see all was well there. I did not want to be a sightseer so we came home the back way. Looking back I wish I would have gone. I had no idea how much area had been destroyed or how many people were without their homes and so many injured.
That night we got a call from my good friend in Orem, UT, Judy Wheat Christensen. "We can not get in touch with my mom. She lived in Alberta City." I told her I did not think it hit there but in the back of my mind, I thought I really don't know how far it went up the road.
The next morning I sat in my neighbor's, Tom and Judy Hill, den and watched some of the news reports. They had satellite  TV and had an Internet signal. I was able to upload pictures to my facebook and send a few emails from their signal.
Judy Christensen called again saying her husband, Steve, had found an updated Google Earth picture of her mom's house and the house was destroyed. LeGrand was trying to help our friend, Steve Acker, who had lost his business on 15th Street. LeGrand told me Forrest Lake subdivision was gone. He left there and got as close as he could and had to walk down University Blvd, crossing the via duct, and with me on the phone that kept cutting out, found Marilyn and James in their blown away living room. What a relief, when I called and told Judy they were alive!
Lots has happened since then. Garrett and Rhada came down with the truck to help salvage what we could of Marilyn and James's house. Those kids stayed and worked HARD for 5 days! I know one day they were out 13 hours. LeGrand and I have been out helping where we could. I have helped haul tree limbs and cleaned out refrigerators. Marilyn and James came here on Saturday. I wish I could take in more. There are so many misplaced people. But so much generosity from everyone, near and far.
 James and Marilyn's home. They were there. He was flown up in the air and his chair came back over him. Marilyn fell the the floor and woke up with James pulling boards off her. Minor injuries.
 James's truck in the rubble.
 What is left of the storage building is in the tree.
 Marilyn and James try to salvage what they could the day after the storm.


 This is looking on the lot next door. People, including 3 children, survived. DCH is seen in the background.
 This was taken on Holt Peterson Road. Just sickening to see the destruction.
 Structure on 15th Street.
This house was on McFarland Blvd just before Hobby Lobby. Notice the X and 0. I was told X meant the house was searched and 0 meant no bodies found.
McFarland Blvd . Lot that had Full Moon BBQ and Milo's or Steak Out. Hobby Lobby in background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!